Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Eat it. Work it. Blog it.

To link up and share your successes or struggles while getting healthy, link up at Amber's blog, The Survival Guide for the Young, Fabulous and Newlywed. 

{eat it}

I am a creature of habit, with everything, especially food. Especially when trying to eat healthy. I've been drinking my smoothies for breakfast, a piece of fruit for a mid morning snack, a salad with chicken or turkey for lunch, crackers or fruit again for an afternoon snack and then supper. Usually, I'll make us a protein (fish, chicken, steak or pork) along with a vegetable and a starch for Kevin. 

Well guess what? I'm sick of it all. Every once in a while, I crave a hot lunch and these salads are just not cuttin it. Next week I really want to try some new, healthy recipes to broaden my menu beyond all the same stuff I've been eating day after day. Time to shake things up a bit.

{work it}

I like running. There. I said it. I've admitted it to you and to myself. 
I literally just took a giant deep breath because I normally despise working out, but, with my C25K workout, I look forward to running every day. Well, not every day, it's usually every other day. Let's not get crazy here.

My running gives me time to clear my head, to think about nothing and just...be. Beyond that, it's given me a goal to work towards. I've finished my second week of the program and will start the third week  tonight. Even though the first day of the week is always challenging, it's made me push myself further than I've ever pushed my body. My legs are getting stronger and I know I can do this. I'll be ready for this 5k in April. I will. I have to.

{blog it}

This week I'm down another 2 pounds. I'm still not impressed with these tiny numbers but a loss is a loss. No complaints there but like I said above, I would really like to overhaul my meals. Getting Kevin to eat more veg with his dinner would be a plus too so I'm thinking a great veggie lasagna should be in the works? Mmm...oh yeah.

Now that I'm running 3/4 times a week, I really want to look into purchasing some workout DVD's so I can concentrate on my core on the days I skip the gym. 

I've heard rave reviews about Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pack, so that's an option:

{source}

If I have the slightest chance of having those abs, I'm sold.

How was your week? Did you indulge last night? I did. :)

28 comments:

jacin {lovely little details} said...

nice work lady!!

conventionalbliss said...

You're doing so well, Jessica! Keep it up!
I am trying to fall in love with C25K and am headed to grab my chicken salad for lunch :P

I'm totally with you on the regiment of healthy meals; I am definitely following a pattern that is quickly losing its flavor. (No pun intended, haha.)

I think I'm going to buy that DVD, I need a new JM to add to the collection because I'm getting ADD with the ones I have: 30DS, NMTZ, and BFBM

Anni said...

Congrats! That's amazing. Knew you could do it. :)

lavenderpug said...

you're kicking ass! veggie lasagna sounds yum. i agree that salads can get old pretty quickly. and yay for the running! my sister keeps telling me to do that program--you're definitely serving as inspiration.

Caroline said...

I can't eat just a cold/plain diet. I need my food. And I'd love to have Jillian's abs. Congrats on the weight loss.

Leigh said...

That's awesome that you are starting to love running! I didn't like it at first, and now I can't get enough!

Congrats on the 2 pound weight loss! Much better than a two pound gain right?

megan said...

2 pounds is better than no pounds! I'm proud of you!!!

And wow, you love running! Holy crap I'm jealous. Channel your motivation this way por favor. Keep up the awesome work!

Erika Grover said...

"Work it, shake it, own it girl" silly lil anthem/quote me & my gf's tend to say when partying in Vegas...it felt appropriate here. hehe Needless to say, go you!

2 lbs a week is the healthy rate of it staying off. :) You're doing it all right. I'm a creature of habit & eat the same things too I do get bored every once in awhile...I'm doing a what I eat in a week food post soon maybe it'll give you some ideas...

I have 2 of Jillians dvd & did them religiously over summer & rocked a 4 pack from that & running...you're golden!

Amber said...

Two pounds is awesome! And that's a healthy amount to lose each week. Goodness if you keep this up you'll reach your goals in no time!

It's so great that you love running -that you've found an exercise that can keep you motivated. That's how I feel about CrossFit - I actually enjoy going each day. Makes it a lot easier to sweat when you love what you're doing!

Sara Pierce said...

Z and I went out for ice cream at Cold Stone last night to celebrate V-day. Hello chocolate dipped strawberries ice cream!
Go get those abs girl... she scares me but I'd follow her lead for that tummy too!

steph c said...

I'm jealous you like running. I still kind of despise it. It would be much easier if we all got along and I could do and like it and not whine for the whole 20 minutes I'm on the treadmill.

But congrats about the 2lb loss! It's still something. And I agree.. I can't always eat the same thing everyday. I get bored.

What about an egg white omelette type thing for breakfast? Or oatmeal with fruit? Or.. cottage cheese with fruit? It's super tasty with pineapple =D

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

That's awesome that you love running. I am still not there. Also that fact that your eating so healthy is great.

P.S.

My hubs name is Kevin too :)

Write it in Lipstick

Megan said...

I'm so proud of you! You inspire me.

Tiffany said...

I did a little V-Day over-indulgence and gained a pound but, whatever. It will normalize by tomorrow, I'm sure. I'm just starting C25K and I hate it (asthma makes running really uncomfortable) but I'm going to build my stamina if it's the last thing I do, damnit!

Nicole J said...

Super duper proud of you! Keep up the good work!

Christina said...

That's great on your 5K! It'll be so much fun!

I have a couple of casseroles or rice, chicken/steak and veggie recipes that I make enough for leftovers so I can eat it for lunch the next day. Then I can have a hot lunch. Also, make a Mexican bowl with some chicken, rice, black beans, salsa..makes for a good lunch! Oh, and chili is good to bring for lunch :)

Morgan said...

2 pounds is great progress!

And I'm totally with you on getting sick of the same old healthy foods. So blah! Occasionally I just have to break down and eat an unhealthy but oh-so-good sandwich (carbs are evil to me though). I think indulging on occasion helps me get through the redundant healthy meals, and really makes me appreciate my food splurge even more!

Kendra said...

You are doing great.! 2 pounds is something, and i totally understand how you wish it were more. you have to start somewhere. as im sitting here watching biggest loser, it is totally depressing seeing them lose 10+ lbs a week sometimes. but were not spending ALL day working out. i think we just need to get it in our minds that 2 lbs is ok.! Youre doing wonderful.

Ashley said...

Sounds like you are doing fantastic and all of the right things! Down 2 lbs in a week is so great, keep in mind that slower is better when it comes to weight loss.
I hear you on the creature of habit - especially with food when trying to eat healthy.

Keep it up and definitely let me know how that workout is if you get it!

Renée said...

This really sounds great, keep up the good work! I would love to hear what you will make for food next week, because I am also looking for healthy meals :) xo

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

I love Jillian can't wait to hear if you get it and how it is.

Tara, in 3 Parts said...

I'm seriously thinking about getting the 30 day shred but I'm not sure if I'm tough enough for it! lol

I love running for the same reasons you do :)

Carlee and Jared Payton said...

HI Jessica,

Good luck with the Shred! Keep up the great work!

I chose you to receive the Stylish Blogger Award, take a look at my blog: http://carleejoy.blogspot.com/

I just love your blog! It's very cute & stylish! :)

Hope you're having a good day!

Jessica said...

You go girl! I wish I loved running! Hope you had a great Valentine's Day with your sweetie!

Candace said...

You are doing soooo good! I'm so proud of you! Don't despise the 2 lb. losses, girl. That's actually the best way to take it off and keep it off. I've got to switch gears over here. I've had too much sugar and carbs lately. Help?!

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Oh man, Jillian Michaels! I really need to give her workouts another try!

Mireya said...

How fun you love running! I haven't been back out since my injury last fall.

Two pounds is awesome, if you keep that up, by the end of the month, you'll be down almost 10 pounds!

brittany said...

you need to send some of that enjoyment of running my way, i'm sooo tired of the treadmill. might have to check out the c25k plan though.

and a loss is a loss, girl...work it! ;)

Post a Comment